Saturday, July 25, 2015

"The Sky Is Dust" A Poem by V.G. Grace

My red eyes are on fire and so is the sky;
 
choking me with ash
 
and burning me with regret.

 
The sky is not dead yet,
 
but neither am I.
 
It goes without saying
 
the moon has made little impression on me, 

having bided its time
 
and shown unremarkable light.

 
Rarely any stars,
 
nor cool winds on my face.
 
Relentless heat
 
dries my throat to parchment
 
and makes me thirsty for waters of release.

 
The sky's ash floats towards me,
 
steadily making its way
 
to enter my mouth
 
and cover my heart.

 
I cover my face with dying leaves,
 
and try to remember my springtime
 
before the fire
 
and its flames.

 
It's hard to remember a time before this,
 
so I slip away
 
from my memories as a ghost.

 
I meet with my understanding
 
which slowly drips out of me,
 
like warm blood;

 
steaming
 
into mist
 
and mingling with dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment