Saturday, March 19, 2016

"Memory Never Dies" A Poem by V.G. Grace

Memory Never Dies



Their past

is still present--

the lives

of those I loved,

pieces

scattered throughout my recollection.



Our sum parts

screened 

like a film,

an ongoing loop

in my head.



I can click the rewind button

like on an old VHS player,

anytime,

anywhere,

I want.




Death is a funny thing--

curious.

It never really ends things.


Just makes a retreat

into the corners,

waiting to leap out the shadows

and make its return.




The smell of that

moment,

embedded 

in my nostrils.


It's the reason why I learned

to hate hospitals.




I don't like the fluorescent

or the squeak-squeak

of the nurses' shoes,

or the soft lies 

spilling out of people's mouths,

tumbling from their lips,

in the moment 

when I needed the truth

of where eternity

would take 

me.



No comments:

Post a Comment