Sunday, April 19, 2020

"On 24th Street" a dark poem by Victoria Grace





It was warm,

gentle,

it definitely was not raining.



I see the picture

in my head

and feel the morning breeze

on my skin

too well,

and that woman fills my memory,

that woman keeps coming back

like a discordant note.




Her face came out in a spring dawn,

but it wasn't her time,

didn't seem to be.

Her time was 

dark and cold,

a reminder

of a place

where pain was normal

and speech was lost.




Her eyes stared through

my own,

her mouth opened as if to say something to me 

and her arm stretched forward.




I thought,

no I KNEW,

her flesh was rotting.



I held my breath.


it was bursting,

ready to explode into the sky

shatter into crystals.



She floated down the pavement--


halfway between an apparition

and a dream.



But I knew my heart was open


and waiting for the answer to the question

standing in front of me.



Where did you come from,


the future or the past? I shouted.



She seemed to jump a distance,


her face so close to mine.

Her eyes carried a blaze,

a craze

I had to know was from her present.



Wrapped in the gap of time,


her skin blistering

and festering by every second,

she touched my face 

with her fingertips

and sent a shock

of electricity

running through me.



And I was not 


on that narrow path anymore.


Bright,

berserk images

ripped through my brain,

my eyes pulsing

with the vividness

of them.



The woman was neither


old or young

up close.



She was an enigma of distance


and space

and her skin

her pores,

opened like flowers.



Her blood flowed


with my tears

and I knew she was dying 

to show me the truth

of my life.



The sum of my existence


was a nuclear blast

of catastrophic intensity and heat.



I saw the world stretched out in front of me,


many people with the same

rotten skin

and despairing souls

and I was amongst them.



Was she me?


Was I her?


My eyes opened to the story

unfolding

and I understood

why she was there

on this street

at this minute,

instead of the darkness,

the despair,

she crawled out of.



I saw her smile.

I saw her tears roll down her

fading face

and I wanted to embrace her

but I couldn't wrap my arms around smoke.



"Now you see?"




I heard her whisper as she evaporated into the sky.



"Now I know."



I assured her.


And I turned away from that street,


from that corner,

and began a new direction

that may or may not 

have taken me into a new future.

No comments:

Post a Comment